I recently re-read a book called Gung Ho! by Ken Blanchard and Sheldon Bowles. The book’s sole purpose is to breakdown the process of getting people on board in business. While reading it I couldn’t help but notice how applicable the outlined process applies to personal health. The following is my interpretation on how you can begin the process of becoming “Gung Ho!” about your health.
Being Proactive About Your Health is Worthwhile Work
- There are so many reasons why your health is worthwhile to work at, but at the top of the list is that you matter- you make the world a better place. Your existence brings value to those around you and although it might not be voiced as it should, you are appreciated. Good health allows you to enjoy your life, those around you, and all the other great things about life.
- You are not working at your health alone. Those you surround yourself with are most likely working on their health as well, and if they are not- you are now an ambassador to them and can get to work together. As the product of those you surround yourself with, make sure you are working toward a common goal of good health.
- Create values to guide your efforts. Make plans focused on proactive health, make decisions with the bigger picture in perspective, and take action to live your values as a reflection of the worthwhile work your health is to you.
You Are In Control of Achieve Better Health
- Take control of your health by making sure you have an individualized plan that caters directly to you and your goals. Having a program developed for your physical fitness, as well as a nutrition outline reflecting your individual needs will ensure that you are taking control of the power you have to better your health.
- Having this control means your thoughts, feelings, and priorities are acknowledged, respected, and acted upon. Conceptualizing your expectations and working backwards from them will ensure you are using your control effectively.
- Creating structure to use your control in an efficient way will allow you to have a solid platform to build on. Once there, you must always challenge yourself to always take it to the next level. You are capable of using your control in more ways than you might think to be possible, all you need to do is try.
Encouragement and Support Create Longevity in the Process
- Surround yourself with those who are actively working towards better health themselves, those who support your goals, and those that help you continually challenge yourself. Having active and passive support influences will help you maintain your control, keep it focused on your values, and deter anything that might prohibit your success.
- Focus on progress. You may not achieve success, conquer a goal, or crush an insecurity each day- but you will be making progress constantly. That, in itself, deserves to be celebrated. Each day that you stick to your values is a day your body thanks you for.
- Use enthusiasm to keep up momentum. A lifestyle change comes from believing in the process even on the toughest days. Having faith that your values are guided, your control is focused, and that you are supported and believed in will help maintain the enthusiasm you need to constantly move forward.
The process of becoming Gung Ho! about your health might seem tasking but it beats the alternative by a long shot. You’ll never look back and regret getting started. Know your value, take control, and believe in the process.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, I’d love to hear from you!