When it starts to get colder, we all reach for comfort foods. They’re warm and comforting after long days. This time of year I like to play around with the idea of comfort foods while still eating clean and fitting my macros. Here’s a recipe for Jambalaya that will warm your belly without ruining your day!
- 10oz. Smoked Turkey Sausage sliced into rounds
- 2lbs of Boneless Chicken Breasts cut into cubes
- 1lb Large peeled raw Shrimp
- 1 Onion
- 1 Small Green Pepper
- 1can of crushed tomatoes or fresh
- Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1.25 cups uncooked White Rice (you could use brown but the process will take much longer)
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
Combine sausage, chicken, and shrimp in large bowl and sprinkle Cajun season on it, mix to coat the meat, let sit for a few minutes. Saute the sausage, shrimp. and chicken until mostly cooked and lightly browned, remove and set aside. In the same pot, saute onion and bell pepper. Stir in crushed tomatoes and season with red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt. Stir in chicken, sausage, and shrimp. Stir in rice and chicken broth, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 min or until liquid is absorbed. Remember you can adjust the recipe to fit your macros!