Flexibility is the range of motion in a joint or group of joints, or the ability to move joints effectively. Flexibility is related to your muscles ability to gain strength and lean out.
Flexibility Helps To:
- Prevent everyday injury from stress and strain of everyday life
- Improve your posture
- Lengthen your muscles for a longer leaner look
- Make movements more fluid, taking away tension on stabilizing muscles
- Allow you to feel more free, open, calm, content, and confident from the inside out
- Make cardio activity a lot lighter and easier
- Enhance sports performance
How can you increase your flexibility?
STRETCHING! I am sure you are aware the stretching increases flexibility, but did you know that healthy muscle tissue can be stretched about twice it’s resting length? That is if you work at it! Stretch to the point of mild discomfort, relax in the stretch, and then push a bit further when you feel your muscles relax. Practice static stretching this way and dynamic stretching by pulsing the movement or doing controlled swinging movements.
If you don’t enjoy stretching alone, try a class that enhances flexibility. Hot Yoga is my personal favorite, increased temperatures increase range of motion and flexibility. Basic yoga is great, as well as Pilates! Regardless of when and how you stretch, just make sure you do. You’ll thank me later!